Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Word From The Lord by Steve Shipley


I once knew a pastor who got all his sermons from books or from the hierarchy of the denomination. As a result, there was no passion or fire in his preaching. He never got a "word from the Lord' directly. He hadn't spent days or nights in prayer seeking what God would have him preach for his congregation. He simply gave book reports week after week.

I asked him if he had ever heard from the Holy Spirit on this matter and he looked at me quite puzzled. His reply was very alarming, "No, I don't believe I've ever heard from the Holy Spirit" This pastor was honest, at least, but I'm afraid all too many ministers repeat other men's sermons and never get their message straight from the source.

In the Old Testament, we read about Moses, who went to the mountain top to speak with God. God told him what to tell the people and the people knew that he had been with God because his face shone with the glory of the Lord. The analogy is simple. We need men who have been with God, who get their message from God, and who shine with His glory. A man who has heard from the Lord Almighty will preach with a passion that will ignite his people. The Bible will come alive to the those in the pews and the guy in the pulpit alike.

When I go to church, I want to hear the Bible taught and preached, but I want to hear it from a man who has been with the Lord. Everyone would listen when that man spoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment